diary of angie-bum, first time mum

hi guys, have been off for a while as have spent almost every waking hour for 4 weeks, trying to bf my baby. Katia didn't poo for the first 2 weeks and my mw was as much use as a chocolate teapot, so much so that my hv has reported it. Katia probably wasn't getting anything like what she needed in breast milk. My hv says it should have been managed differently and a plan sorted long before she got on the scene (god bless my hv!) Babs lost more than 10% of her weight and has only just recovered that, up until last week she was still losing weight and hv very concerned. Saying that, I have spent a great deal of the last week hand expressing/pumping and supplementing Bab's diet with a carton of sma. She has put on 7oz this week =) so at 4 weeks 1 day, she has only just got back up to 9lb, which she started at. I have been beside myself.

I went to the gp this week as my hv had noticed that babs wasn't seen at 24hours (I wasn't told I needed to go or I of course would have done!) gp was really odd with me and in broken english chastised me for not coming in sooner (doh! i wasn't even aware I needed to) she did the hip check etc and pronouced my child normal. I redressed babs, when gp announced she'd changed her mind and would weigh baby. So I undressed babs again. Gp then looked at the weight and blanched, as not back up to start weight. Babs started crying as I was redressing her and gp announced that crying was because baby obviously hungry, that I obviously wasn't producing enough, that I needed to check my technique for bf (though bf support, mw and hv all said my bf technique was spot on) and needed to go on formular. Anyway long story short, was totally in bits, felt I had failed Katia and heartbroken that I hadn't been able to sustain her (or notice there was a problem...she is a happy baby, seemingly growing out of clothes, feeding well...or so I thought, wet nappies, good complexion...)

Met a friend who does bf support, who happened to be in the gp surgury reception, she managed to collect my shattered belief in myself and supported me to go over the road and talk to the bf friendly hv's.

Anyway. With the help of fenugreek seed pills and lots of expressing, I have managed to increase my milk supply. Baby only seems to feed stongly very first thing and later in the day, the rest of the time she just has small snack and falls to sleep, which is why I have been tied to the sofa feeding her all hours for weeks. Under my hv suggestion, during the day I am now only feeding babs 15 mins on each boob and then supplementing her feeds with portions of sma. Since doing this baby seems more satisfied, I am less tired and upset and actually have time and 2 hands to express. I am actually able to type this as my supply is good this am, I have fed her from both boobs and been able to hand express nearly 20ml whilst she sleeps by the side of me wrapped in my dressing gown.

Right! so now baby is gaining weight and I am not an emotional wreck I might be able to think about losing weight. After the initial loss I am putting on again. I hate being back to a size 20, doesn't suit me at all. I am aware that I need to preserve my milk supply. Have been thinking about slimming world. It might also be good for me to do and have something else in my week to go to.

Anyway, need to go to sleep and take my sleeping beauty up stairs with me =)

Hi Kirsty, unfortunately not getting much sleep and it's really getting to me. Feel crap again today, having a chat with hubby as my head is mulch at the moment and felt really guilty for going out today. I know my head isn't right...baby crying and lack of sleep are a bad combination. Feeling like crying myself. Bloody hormones

Awww Angie, have a hug from me (((((hugs)))) I hope you feel better soon. xxx

Thank you

Needed a hug:)
have had a little sleep so feel a little bit human.

Aww Angie I'm sorry you're finding things tough at the moment. Its not easy I know. ((hugs)) Just remember it does get better and if you need a cry.. well blooming have one! Even if it needs a weepy movie or something to 'hide' why you're doing it from DH. Honestly it is often better to let the tears flow!
Glad the fenugreek has helped - I have tried it but seems to give baby and me wind! oops. how do you find that side of it?

so sorry you had such a crap time with the dr honey :( glad that things have picked up though. i bet she is one happy baby :D

glad you got a little more sleep. have another hug.

abz xx

Thanks guys.... The lack of sleep has really wiped me out & coping with it during long hours by myself at home not helped by hubby working on and off over w/end too.... Had been looking forward to having some time to self/time out of house, when we did manage to get out we were out for too long, baby tired, me in tears and feeling guilty for having a bit of normal time. Realised being hit by a wall of grief and guilt very unlike me and a bit odd, so talked to hubby about it as was worried about own mental health. Have realised I need to take up offers of help from friends and to make sure between me and hubby that i get some sleep.
The positve news is that I can see missie is putting on weight now and has now started to coo smile and reach for me..... Needless to say I am doubly in love with my little girl.

And yep jane, the fenugreek gives me wind, not sure if it has affected babs same way, as she has always farted! I am just gragteful it has increased my supply.

Am generally feeling better and less scared that something is wrong with/or something will happenbto katia. Right baby fallen to sleep on chest need to see if I can put her down, need water & need to go back to sleep!

Last edited:
but it all is well 12 months later.....just have to lose the baby weight =)

oh so do i. i didn't gain more than a lb or two when preggers... just gained a stone afterwards...

Hey girlies!
Wow popped on here as am on Slimfast now - still BF so can't CD but trying to lose those pregnancy lbs! lol

Great to 'see' you all and how cute are your babies eh! :D
Kirsty / Abz been so long! :D

Hope you all had wonderful xmases and new years - drop me a pm if you fancy a chat. x

Hope ur all doing ok. yeah iv put weight on too :(

tho starting diet chef 2moro.

Still having problems with my blood and there saying i will have it for life.

Jessica had her 1st birthday on sat, and is doing great. What a quick year its been xx

Babies!

Hope ur all doing ok. yeah iv put weight on too :(

tho starting diet chef 2moro.

Still having problems with my blood and there saying i will have it for life.

Jessica had her 1st birthday on sat, and is doing great. What a quick year its been xx

Isn't it fab having all our little babs. Love my little girl she's such a cheeky monkey

Wow! Congratulations ;-)

Back