Dukan Live Chats in a Nutshell

Yeah, I do...am I not meant to?! Oops. I use the robinson's fruit squashes with no added sugar and have tried to make myself enjoy them quite weak. I also have any of the fanta zero range, ribena extra light etc etc. I don't have them every day and I don't have more than one serving (e.g. 330ml can or large glass) a day. Might be causing some of the weird readings I've had though? Damn. I should probably cut out all sweetener if I want to do this properly...

Jx

Cor Blimey hunni, does it matter if these were wrong LOL....YOUR AT TRUE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So it obv didn't do that much harm. besides since seeing your post I have bought some WW cordial and so far so good. Again I'm only drinking maybe 500ml in the day of it, but its been ok.

keep these coming i love them :)

• And here are the key points from the live chat of Friday, the 27th of July.
You know you're in for a dodgy chat when the very first question is: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

"Hi I am going into the consolidation stage, can I eat the following? 1. Rice 2. Crisps 3. Noodles 4. White bread 5. Cream 6. Cheese cakes or other cakes". Now, I'd sort of forgive a complete newbie who was about to start attack a question like this. But if you're going onto consolidation, doesn't it imply you've been through both attack and cruise? And that you have some basic understanding of the diet? Well, clearly not. Bless the moderator for patiently answering what is allowed on consolidation, rather than just screaming 'NO, NO, OF COURSE YOU CAN'T HAVE CRISPS AND CREAM AND CAKE, EXCEPT AT YOUR CELEBRATION MEAL. STOP ASKING RIDICULOUS QUESTIONS. NOW GO AND BUY THE BOOK. AND DON'T JUST BUY IT. READ IT!' Hmm. Maybe I won't sit by the phone waiting for the call asking me to become a Dukan moderator....
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- On consolidation, your weight will fluctuate throughout the week. This is normal as you are in the process of consolidating it. As long as you stay the same Friday to Friday (i.e. the day after your PP day), you'll be ok.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Plain Quorn is ok but not 'cooked' products like Quorn sausages which contain non-Dukan ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- [/FONT]Don't abuse the diet by having extra PP days as your body can get used to them and won't react any more. If you're worried about stagnating, you're better off cutting out all tolerates for a few days.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- You can have your fruits, on condo, whenever you want, although probably best to avoid them just before bed[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- The type of alternation you do with PP and PV days (i.e 1 day PP/1 day PV or 2 days PP/2 days PV will not affect your weight loss[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Xylitol is an acceptable sugar replacement[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Thanks for your chat updates Joodle. Also congrats on getting to TW. I tried to post on your diary, but as I'm a newbie I can't as yet. I am following your progress, best wishes for your continued success :)

No quorn sausages? They've been one of my favourite snacks.
What 'plain' quorn products does it mean are allowed then?
Boo.

I'm glad I hadn't bought quorn products then, though I did look at the fat content and decide it was too high. Thanks for the chat updates hun, very informative. I'm saving them all in a word document.

Thanks for your chat updates Joodle. Also congrats on getting to TW. I tried to post on your diary, but as I'm a newbie I can't as yet. I am following your progress, best wishes for your continued success :)
Thanks Cath!

Boo.
Hi Toriax. That's what they seem to be saying. I'm guessing that 'plain' quorn is the fillets, chicken chunks, mince, plain steaks like lamb or peppered ones etc, basically anything that's not been made into a sausage or burger or covered in a sauce, made into cottage pie or enchiladas or whatever.

Saying that, the sausages, while higher in fat and containing a few carbs, are really not that bad. Salmon and other oily fish have about 12% fat and they're allowed, so I can't see the rationale for banning a quorn sausage which has 6.8% fat. They do contain 11.6% carbs though so that's probably the problem. Personally, I did eat quorn sausages and burgers while on cruise and will continue to do so in conso. They were one of the first things I cut out when I really wanted to speed up the weight loss however. So although I don't think they're bad choices, they're not the best if you really want to maximise the speed at which you lose weight.

Hope that helps - I don't have any other background info to what they say in the live chats I'm afraid, so this is just my interpretation. I just report what they say and try to make sense of it! Figuring out what works for you is probably the best advice in the end.

Good luck! Jx

Boo.

Toriax, I just saw your stats! OMG, amazing! Well done you! If you're just trying to shed those last few pounds, maybe give quorn a miss and see if it speeds things up. But you really don't need any advice from me - you're doing incredibly well, huge congrats!! Jx

I'm glad I hadn't bought quorn products then, though I did look at the fat content and decide it was too high. Thanks for the chat updates hun, very informative. I'm saving them all in a word document.

DF, you're a big girly swot!!

;)

Wise on the label reading - they are not perfect but great for people like me who don't eat meat. The plain products are especially good, maybe something to consider if you get totally bored with meat! Jx

• Here are key points from Monday 30th July
    - There are a lot of unofficial iPad apps (for recipes) on the web but no official ones
    - Instant Bird's custard is a tolerated item [presumably at a small amount, like a tablespoon or something? Anyone know? Although why anyone would want to eat that stuff...ahem]
    - Hellmann's lighter than light mayonnaise is not allowed [dang, I've used it occasionally]
    - Soya milk is allowed (no more than 700 grammes per day if you are lactose intolerant) or one glass per day as one tolerated item
    - Dr D recommends a slimming supplement called Devorcal which can be bought online from their shop. [I feel quite uncomfortable repeating this, but have committed to summarising the chats as they appear and not acting as a censor. I would urge anyone considering buying it to research the evidence base on its effectiveness as slimming aids have a really bad track record and I'd hate people to be spending money on something that doesn't work, just to line the Dukan site's pocket.]
    - In stabilisation you have 3 tablespoons of oat bran. If you have any additional oat bran products (i.e. those from the online Dukan store, like cookies or cereal bars) count them as one tolerated item and don't have more than one a day.
    - In stabilisation, you have 2 celebration meals a week and can have starches every day, as long as you don't exceed 440g (cooked weight) of starches a week.
    - In stabilisation, you should stick to the 40g of cheese per day but can occasionally include more fatty cheeses or butter - but not every day.

Now, I could be wrong, but I think the lovely, sunny Sonja (one of the Dukan site moderators), who puts up with soooo many daft questions with incredible grace and patience, may be showing signs of cracking. In response to one question she replied: "As I told you during our last chat" and to another " as my colleague told you..." This really isn't' a criticism of Sonja, I'm just glad to see she appears to be human in the face of such ridiculous questions!!

Am still catching up with these chats - will try to get another one in today. J

- In stabilisation you have 3 tablespoons of oat bran. If you have any additional oat bran products (i.e. those from the online Dukan store, like cookies or cereal bars) count them as one tolerated item and don't have more than one a day.
- In stabilisation, you have 2 celebration meals a week and can have starches every day, as long as you don't exceed 440g (cooked weight) of starches a week.
- In stabilisation, you should stick to the 40g of cheese per day but can occasionally include more fatty cheeses or butter - but not every day.

Thanks Joodle this is outstanding and helpful! I feel completely vindicated about my 'moans' a year ago when I realised that 'Stabilisation' is NOT quite 'Eat what you like' as promised by the blurb on the back of the book. It *is* essentially relaxed conso for life. I just have to get used to it (struggling at the mo'). What on earth is '440gr cooked weight' - I suppose two big carb meals? (the 200gr amount none of us can normally finish). In fact those limits outlined above - I had worked them out myself :)

I wonder how much input the good doctor really has on all these new products his marketing team are now hard selling on the website... he used to be so anti using any powders, potions or pills. That's what sold this diet to me in the first place. I hardly recognise most of the advice these days, which is why I abstain from giving any here.

• Here are key points from Monday 30th July

It is quite different from what I read in the book.....

DF, you're a big girly swot!!

;)

Yep thats me. I can be obssessive about things. I like to read everything and anything to make sure i get it right. I will ask the same question in a couple of different ways cos I am always convinced I didn't really understand the answer inthe first place. Plus these chats are likely to help me cos thers bound to be something in the future when I say 'now are we allowed ****' LOL :D

I love this thread J, fantastic idea to start it . Very informative thank you for putting the time and effort into it xxx

I love this thread J, fantastic idea to start it . Very informative thank you for putting the time and effort into it xxx

I love it too, keep up the good work. Must start weighing my carbs.... 200g per carb meal I believe!

Thanks Joodle this is outstanding and helpful! I feel completely vindicated about my 'moans' a year ago when I realised that 'Stabilisation' is NOT quite 'Eat what you like' as promised by the blurb on the back of the book. It *is* essentially relaxed conso for life. I just have to get used to it (struggling at the mo'). What on earth is '440gr cooked weight' - I suppose two big carb meals? (the 200gr amount none of us can normally finish). In fact those limits outlined above - I had worked them out myself :)

Thanks Anjuschka. I was always suspicious that you could go through cruise and conso and then in stabilisation just eat whatever you pleased with one little PP day a week as atonement. I guess, deep down, we all know that's not really possible. Not sure how they calculated the 440g of cooked starches though - seems very specific to say 440 rather than just a round number like 400g/500g or even a pound! How long have you been on stabilisation for now?

I wonder how much input the good doctor really has on all these new products his marketing team are now hard selling on the website... he used to be so anti using any powders, potions or pills. That's what sold this diet to me in the first place. I hardly recognise most of the advice these days, which is why I abstain from giving any here.

Have to say - I think they frequently adapt their advice to suit their marketing needs. For example, they sell all those products with oat bran in (biscuits, cereal bars etc) and say you can have them as tolerated items on top of your usual oat bran allowance. Strikes me as a little bit dodgy! Dr D himself might not agree with it all, but I doubt he feels like kicking up a fuss as the cash rolls in!!

Saying that, I also think it's just up to us to figure out what works. That's kind of what you're saying Joanne, I think. We can't just sit here and blindly follow the advice they give and complain if it doesn't work. We have to take responsibility for it ourselves and accept that the advice is just that, advice, and it's up to us to decide what actually works for us personally. On top of that, what works for one person might not work for another, making it difficult for anyone to give absolutely definitive advice.

You're very welcome Sid, thank you for being so very polite! Jx

Back