Tipperary wobbles into 2024

We should make it a group trip, just imagine all of us together.

Well organised my time wrong and had to run out the door while my curry was heating. So got to work and bought a chicken wrap.

Food went downhill after I.got to work. As said I planned my time wrong and had to run out of the house with my veg curry still in the oven. Ate an oat bar in the car and bought a sweet chilli chicken wrap at work. Was starving again at 7pm and really not looking forward to vegan sausage on baked potato so ended up buying a ham and cheese panini with salad. Thirsty too and got a water juice drink thingy, no cals but probably lots of artificial.sweeteners and additives. Glad I did though as the last flight was delayed and 9:30pm finish ended up being 10:30pm and not home until midnight. And I can tell you manning a Ryan Air gate late at night when the flight has been delayed you need stamina, most of the other staff are jazzed up on caffeine. Home and had wine and some bread with butter, bed at 3am.
Not in today until.7pm, my legs and feet all swollen.

Today's RyanAir tip ( if you are travelling with them over the summer and have.Amy questions feel free to ask)
PRINT on paper if you can your boarding pass, it's quicker for passport checks. If its on your phone not only have it on the app but take a screen shot of it as well so if for some reason you cannot connect to the internet then you still have a copy.

If travelling as a group it is better that each person has there own boarding card rather than " the leader" have all 10 on their phone.

Having a fry for breakfast, I'm really not getting the concept of diet at all am I???

Losing weight isn't easy at the best of times, but working shifts makes it even more difficult. I think you are doing really well. And sometimes convenience is a necessity when it comes to eating.

Oh man a busy few days you've had - again!

Good advice re the boarding pass, thanks, I've just booked to Pescara - so will make sure I print out my pass too!

Warning, mini rant here.
I love my job and I hate it.
I love the passengers, I love the airport, I love the vibe. The work can be challenging at times but then you feel great
I don't like the very early starts or late nights. I don't like the long and expensive travel (€90 a week in fuel and tolls). I don't like minimun wage and often only 4 hour shifts. I don't like standing around with nothing to do, last night a 4 hour shift for only 1 hours work but can't actually " take a break". Last night finished at 10pm but had to remain alone in an empty airport until my shift finished at 11 pm.
And I hate some of the people I work with. Up till now we have been trainees and everyone has been so nice, all changed last week and staff have been screaming and shouting at us and been extremely abusive. We new people are been treated like "$h1t". One of the girls told me she goes home crying every night, another leaves home early and it takes her over 30 minutes sitting in the car park trying to psych herself up to.come in. Different staff give us conflicting information and one new person was hauled into the office for not following procedure, she was doing so and was pulled away from it by a senior staff member. Another got reported for delaying a flight, she had flagged the issue 90 minutes before take off and her supervisor told her it wasn't a problem...but then when it caused a delay she was blamed.
Some of the more permanent staff are on serious power trips and are effing and blinding at us non stop.
I'm not afraid of hard work but am not comfortable with bad language or just picking on people. I thought it was just me trying to adjust as an older new employee but all of my group feel the same. We have been told that some of them just have " strong personalities " and to stand up to them but its very tiring and taking any joy from the job.

OK rant over, thanks.

So with all that food has gone a bit crazy. I had chocolate on Friday and it was like a drug going into my system and since then I've had so many kit Kat's and snack bars. Two people left work yesterday ( no surprise) so there was lots of cake and chocolate to eat. Short shifts mean no set break so no time to.get to staff room so eating sandwiches and crisps on the run. I shouldn't need to eat on a four hour shift but with my travel its 6 hours and usually a meal time.
In later for 4pm to 9:30pm but late flight will probably be delayed. Off then for two days so.will sleep, make soup and salad and try to.go swimming.

Oh crikey that rant is well deserved!!! It sounds horrendous - why the change in attitudes? Being told to stand up to people isn't a solution - can you speak to HR about it, if you haven't done so already?

It would sure drive me straight into the arms of food, that's for sure :classic_mad:.

Have a lovely couple of days off, like the three S plan :)

Just feeling a bit fed up as scheduled for all evenings and all budget airline flights. Much nicer during the daytimes and staff much nicer..
Just had a wrap and a chocolate picnic bar.
And doing more training next week for another airline.

I honestly don't know how you do it. Is it financial viable for you doing it?

I can't work in a place where we don't all get on or even dread going in to work.

Hope you shift tonight goes quickly.:)

Thanks, last night was fine, its amazing the difference it makes when you work with nice people.
I honestly don't know how you do it. Is it financial viable for you doing it?.:)

Not really but I need to be able to show the bank that I have a regular wage regardless of how low it is. And its not a permanent job either so I'm still looking. It is great experience. I'm down for more training in two weeks with some more airlines and its with a nice group of staff.

its easier to go in for the evening shifts but the work isn't as interesting. And I've found u eat much more as I have breakfast and lunch at home, a sandwich as I arrive st work and then something else when I get home. The really early shifts i have a cereal bar first then a warm breakfast at 7 am break, lunch when I get home and am in bed before dinner.

Aw Tipperary, I am only catching up.. that sounds awful. Really sorry to hear work is like that... I know you have a few more jobs possibilities and will keep my fingers crossed for you that something comes up...

Thanks for the info on Ryanair app too! We were only discussing that here in the office this morning..

I used to work shift too, well its a few years since I did it and really is so difficult to know what to eat..

I was just feeling a bit down the other day cos I was with someone quite unpleasant and as I said it is amazing the difference it makes when you are with someone nice. I am a nice person and find it hard to understand why people feel the need to be unpleasant.

As I said food all over the place and the past three days have eaten a lot of chocolate, I need to stop that immediately before it by comes a habit. I was worried starting the job that I would be too big for a uniform and too unfit for the job (I even asked if the had a medical or fitness check for it before I applied) but there are certainly much younger people than me bigger and unfitted and I can see why, boredom means food, stress means food, silly hours means food.

They must have a fair bit of staff turnover, would you take a permanent role with them if it came up?

They no long offer permanent full time roles.They have lots of 6 month summer contracts and keep some staff on then for the winter but only a guarenteed 20 hours a week. If I had 8 hours a day it would be worth my while but not with 4.

Sun shining today and I've done lots of cleaning and washing already. Daughter 2 is here again off sick and not getting any solutions. We are off out for a drive for lunch and a walk along the lake. I know I'll be having either burger or fish with salad and chips but I don't eat dessert. Then we can have salad in the garden later for dinner.
Spinach omlette for breakfast
Had a shower and its so nice to be able to leave my hair natural and not wear any make-up and today is a flip flop or sketchers day.

Travel tip for the day, not just Ryan Air but all airlines.
Flights do get delayed for all sorts of reasons and it wasn't the fault of the ground crew. So if its late at night and your flight has been delayed don't take it out on them, don't scream at them that you will be late or miss your train or your lift has to wait. Remember the ground crew are also delayed, they can't clock off and go home and just leave you in the airport. They also will be late home and may miss lifts or trains and will be on their feet tired and hungry too. And they still have to smile and be pleasant.

Yep, last nights flight was delayed, home after midnight.

Actually Orla I do have the patience of a saint so in that respect am suited to the job
Yesterday was the first day that I really felt like I had a day off. Today have been busy with cleaning, we have two French volunteers coming to stay at the weekend and need to get a room ready for them
Food not the best, toast and scrambled egg, oat bar, homemade pizza and courgette/coconut soup and just now an ice pop. Going out to a meeting now and at 10 pm reckon it will be pizza and salad. Made dough for pizza bases this morning and I had ham, corn, spinach and mozzarella on mine.

Crikey more people in your home - you will be bursting at the seams :). What sort of stuff do you get them to help with? I think you already told me but I've forgotten :classic_roll_eyes:.

Food sounds good to me - delish and all home made!

Hi Tippy, been catching up...phew, sounds like some horrible people on the late shift..no reason for them to be like that other than they are nasty people! It makes me sick that people like that are not pulled up by their bosses and newbies are told to stand up to them..I hate that they get away with it..and swearing🙀 We can all swear if we wanted to do but it certainly isn't professional at work. Fancy passing the buck and putting the blame on someone else too, and that poor girl sitting in the car park for 30mins before she can get herself into work..heartbreaking!
Shift work is very hard to get used to regarding food, esp if no proper breaks. Rather than a meal I'd opt for easy to eat snacks as I found it was an energy boost or a boredom boost I needed rather than an actual meal..so I'd make up a box with cherry toms, cucumber, carrots, hummus, breadsticks or something like that for sitting with and in my pocket I'd have dried apricots (I found them filling) or a few unsalted nuts & raisins.
I've never understood the need for people to let rip at ground crew about being delayed..at least they're finally there, they could be still stuck where they were😸
I know that painted on smile when in your head you're saying "oh shut up, stupid" 😂 Pleased I don't do that anymore!
Pity you're spending so much on travel from your wage for a short shift but if that's what's needed to keep the bank happy. Makeup free and wild hair days are so pleasing 😺
Oh, thanks for the tips..I'd not thought of taking a screen shot X

Back