Giant Jaffa Cake :D

sorry everyone, i didnt read all these recent comments. look like everyones having the same problems. anyone managed to get a good presentation with the chocolate yet?
xx

Looks awesome!!! Might have to have a go at this :D

it tasted nice, but i dont think my jelly was set enough. and also it would have been nicer to have an even amount of chocolate as the spoonfuls with the chocolate on were lushhh!

OMG this looks amazing - and when you think how many syns a normal teeny jaffa cake is! Ummm num num! Got to get a flan base!

I am making this today for a girly lunch with my Texan neighbours to enjoy while watching the England match....am trying to show one in particular that slimming world doesnt mean going without, and we will have this after a syn free humous and veggies, lemon and coriander cous cous, and falalfels...but I have had to adapt it a little as we cant get sponge flan cases here so I have used a lite graham cracker base and instead of chocolate have used a Jello sugar free chocolate desert made with fat free milk from my healthy extra...I used a lot less milk than the pack says so it should set nice and firm....haven't worked out the syn value yet but am guessing it will be similar to the original.....if it tastes as good as it looks I am on to a winner

Mine spread OK. I did microwave the whole thing once the jelly was on tho because I let it set a bit too much so it wasn't flat. Maybe that made a difference?? I just poured it all into the middle and then spread it round with the back of a spoon.

The only slight problem was cutting it once it had set but I managed and it was scrummy!!!!

Ok i made this today, just waiting for it to set!! My jelly broke so was all bumpy so the chocolate didnt spread. think im gona try setting the jelly in the bowl but with cling film under so i can lift it out!!
Does anyone know if this would taste nice with cadburys chocolate mousse on? Got a taster evenin weds nite and think im gona make it!! But want to make sure if looks good!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

I'm going to have a go at this for my taster next week - and hopefully if it all works out and sets OK, i'm going to try putting my knife in hot water before cutting it so the chocolate topping doesn't crack!

Am i right in thinking i'm using 2 sachets of jelly with half the amount of water recommended? really hope this works! Going to use 2 x 28g tesco plain chocolate, which comes out at 15 syns. With the 3 for the jelly, and 32 for the flan base, it makes an even 50 syns for the whole thing - only 5 syns a slice if it's cut into 10! xx

I'm going to do it for a taster on thursday, will post pics and tips if it works! going to double the chocolate to 56g, as 28g of tesco plain choc is 7.5 syns.... That means 32 syns for the flan case, 3 for the jelly, and 15 for the chocolate - a round 50 syns for the whole thing! Split into 10, it's 5 syns for quite a generous piece....

Could never make it to leave at home in the fridge though, i'd eat the whole thing in one go!! Might try making mini ones with the little flan cases instead...

I'm going to try and make the jelly on a salad-sized plate and then turn it over into the flan case when it's set - i reckon it will give that nice jaffa cake shape as well!

Dreading the chocolate spreading as i can't see how it's going to spread, but will drizzle it on before i spread it in case it won't cover the whole thing - the chooclate drizzled over won't look too bad.....

Going to dip my knife in hot water before i cut it as well so it makes nice clean pieces!!

All these plans, bet it's a disater despite it all!!

I tried this a few weeks ago - although it was mega delicious the jelly didnt keep shape when i turned it out and there was no where near enough choc to cover!

Well i ended up using 100g of chocolate, making the whole thing just over 60 syns.... it looked a mess and completely fell apart when i cut it up, despite me warming the knife! ended up eating it in a bowl with squirty cream as it was all in little crumbs and bits! Gorgeous, and tasted just like a jaffa cake, but i'd say you'd be better building it in a bowl instead - crumble a bit of sponge cake, add a spoon of doube strength set orange jelly, then drizzle with melted dark choc, or grate some on top!

xx

i'd end up eating it all in the one go 51 syns in 1 day!
haha xx

Ok, mine is in the fridge setting nicely for tomorrow.

I couldn't get quick set jelly so have made up one sachet of the sugar free jelly but only used 1/2 pint of water. I let it thicken in the jug until it was nearly set and then stirred and poured it into the flan case. There was just enough.

My question now is do I use all of the chocolate. I got 150g dark cooking chocolate from Asda and I think it's 7 1/2 syns per 28g so I could round it up to 40 1/4 syns plus the 1 1/2 plus the 35 1/2 = 77 1/4 syns in total.

Would that be OK for a taster as it's my first one and I don't know what to expect.

Realised I've boobed and ruined it by not making up a full pint of jelly!! Hope everyone at the taster likes dark chocolate and sponge.

Last edited:
Ive just bought some small flan cases from Asda. I have no idea of the syns but im hoping they arent gonna be bad ! Im nervous about making them as there are some good and bad comments about how easy they are to make. Hope it turns out right :D xxx

Here's some syn values:)

Mine went down really well at the taster. Even though I didn't make enough jelly it worked really well by letting it nearly set in the fridge first before putting in on the flan. I did give it a stir every so often when it was setting. Only problem I had was the chocolate cracking when it was cut but I think was partly due to everyone cutting really small pieces and I'd also used such a lot of chocolate-lol

Asda Plain Sponge Flan Case, Mini, 6 pack 21g each

extraeasy.gif
4 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 4 Syns
green.gif
Green 4 Syns

Asda Plain Sponge Flan Case 28g

extraeasy.gif
5 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original

Thanks for the help on the syn values :). The jelly is in the fridge as I type!! xxx

Back