JanD's Maintenance Diary. Week 15 onwards

Didn't have anything else in work :)

Got to Mum's to fnd she'd fallen in the bathroom and had a hand twice it's normal size. SO spent a nice 1&1/2 hrs in A&E. (very quiet time thankfully) They think she's broken 2 bones but they're very hard to see and her bones are all misshapen with arthritis anyway so they've put it in a splint for now and we go back to see the orthopods on Tues.
Ho-hum there's always something! :eek:

Friday 27th November

Slivver of cheese when making mum a sarnie.

Breakie - 2 weetabix, blueberries, splenda & skimmed milk

Bed all day

Tea - Baked haddock with stirfry and an Alpen light bar (had one of these yesterday too - forgot to say)

Went back to Mum's tonight, had a teaspoonful of leftover trifle :eek:

Brought to work - Wholemeal wrap with ham salad & extra light salad cream and a plum.

Last edited:
Hi Jan, sorry to hear about your Mum, the poor thing. Hopefully she isnt in too much pain.

Just been reading a bit on the low GI foods and printed out a list. Just noticed that you had weetabix for your breakfast. These are actually in the high GI index at 74. I am not going to follow the low GI, but I just thought I would start to try to add a few more low GI foods into my diet.

I hadn't realised that Mary - I haven't really been following anything tbh. Just found that weetabix fill me up and keep me going ... I wonder if they're low GL? SOme things can look really high on the GI but when they take into account other things (not sure exactly what:eek:) they're actually okay. I think fruit comes into that category. I'll have a look, thanks for pointing it out.

I've had a pack of those Go Ahead Yoghurt breaks - dang 2 in a pack things!!!

Last edited:
This is the proper explanation

What is the Glycaemic Index?

Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for your body. It’s not just how much carbohydrate we consume that’s important for a healthy diet, it’s the type that’s the key.The Glycaemic Index (GI) is a guide to help you eat the right type of carbohydrate and make nutritious food choices.
GI is a rating from 0 to 100 calculated according to how quickly different carbohydrates are digested and raise the blood sugar level.
Low GI foods like oat cakes, wholegrain bread and strawberries that are digested more slowly, help keep your blood sugar and your energy levels even.They also help you feel fuller for longer so you don't feel hungry again so soon.
High GI foods, like white bread, cornflakes and rice-cakes, are digested quickly, giving a short-term boost to your blood sugar level, and a blood sugar low a few hours later, leaving you feeling hungry and exhausted.
What is Glycaemic Load?

While GI tells you whether the carbohydrate or type of sugar in a food is ‘fast-releasing’ it doesn’t tell you how much there is in the food. So, you could have a food with a high GI, such as watermelon, but very little actual carbohydrate in it. Or a food with a medium GI, such as chocolate, that’s loaded with sugar.
Glycaemic Load, or GL, is a measure of the quantity of carbohydrate in a typical serving, multiplied by the quality (the GI).The GL of a food tells you exactly what it’s going to do to your blood sugar level, your energy and your weight. It’s therefore a much more reliable measure of whether the food will keep you healthy.
What’s more, low GL foods also stabilise appetite. So if you eat a diet containing low GL foods such as oat cakes, you not only help your waistline, but you don’t want to eat too much.

And you're quite right weetabix is about 75 GI but it works out at 16 GL so comes in the medium range of foods (11-19) so not bad - but could be better. Might go back to the granola for a while. (better look it up first though ;)) xx

Last edited:
Saturday 28th November

Breakie - Had that horrible shakey light headed feeling in Mum's so had 2 pieces (small) of toast with (too much) clover. Just had an Alpen light bar when I got home

Bed all day

Tea - Had a 'freezer surprise' .... DH is out so I got a box out of the freezer. I often freeze left overs but never label them. This one turned out to be meatballs in tomato & mushroom sauce with a couple of new potatoes. It wasn't bad.

Vino night tonight :)

4 oatcakes, 2 with lf cheese spr with garlic & herbs & 2 with houmous

Pkt tesco cheese puffs (didn't half stick to me teeth - makes you wonder what's in'em :() xx

Last edited:
Sunday 29th November.

Breakie - 2 weetabix & blueberries, splenda & skimmed milk

Lunch - Tuna & cucumber roll with side salad

slice corned beef

Tea - Baked salmon, roasted tomatoes, courgettes & mushrooms

4 oatcakes - 2 with houmous & 2 with lf cheese spread with garlic & herbs

A few V&Cs ;)

10 weeks in one thread is enough for me I think, so here's week 25 onwards which I've started & will move to from tomorrow (Mon 30th)

http://www.minimins.com/lipotrim-ma...ntenance-diary-wk-25-onwards.html#post2168809

Last edited:
Hi Jan
I replied SOMEWHERE about your mum and her fall, but I dont know where!!!! Maybe it was on FB!!!!! I do hope she is ok and recovering well..Bless, she must have got a shock!

You are doing well, eh!! I am back on track tomorrow,,,,so, I will be honest with everyone and say what I weigh. Have to! Went to the theatre last night and my nice trousers that were too big were too tight!! So, enough is enough and it is just plain stupidity now!! So, I WILL get back on track.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!! Oh, thinking about coming to the Phil in January, they are having a classical Scottish night..will keep you posted!

take care

Yes thanks - you commented about Mum on Facebook - she's fine in herself - just a bit frustrated she can't do her puzzles which she enjoys.
The Phil is a 20 min train ride and 10 min walk from my house ;) YOU know what I mean!! :) xx

A nice finish to this thread - lost 2lbs this week :):) and that with eating loads but eating 'proper' meals and very little picking. :) xx

:banana dancer: whoooo well done Jan!! :D xxx

Thank yooooo :) x

Thanks for the GL information Jan, I will go and have a nosey at that.

Congratulations on the loss, excellent news.

Hey Jan, it's been ages since I last sent you a message, I've been reading your diary and as always, you're doing well. How have you been finding it all? have you managed to find your balance?

Hi Yas! Hope you're well ..... I don't know about 'as always' - I'm up and down like a fiddler's elbow. I can't say I've found my balance yet. But then it's only been 6 months and they say it takes 5 years to be able to say you're living like a thin person and 'might' have cracked it.

How're you doing these days??

5 yearrrrrrrrrrrssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what?!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :doh: oh lordy lord! lol

Ooooooops!!! Sorry!!! - Just what I've heard xx

Hi Yas! Hope you're well ..... I don't know about 'as always' - I'm up and down like a fiddler's elbow. I can't say I've found my balance yet. But then it's only been 6 months and they say it takes 5 years to be able to say you're living like a thin person and 'might' have cracked it.

How're you doing these days??

Jesus 5 years? that's a bit much.
I've been great thanks, I am loving college at the moment, met some really great people and just having so much fun. Lipotrim is much faster this time and I'll be finishing soon, very excited to start refeed again.

I can see that your weight is pretty much stabalising. Can't see too much harm, especially from that bing you had. You handled it much better than I did LOL.

Back