diary of angie-bum, first time mum

wow that's not long at all really is it. :) I can't apply for Maternity allowance till 26 weeks so am waiting to do that, but am hoping to start it from mid-end of november.
Have you applied for your HIPS grant? As that is from 25 weeks but you need a form from your MW. I see mine next week so will get that then.

yeah you have hun, I worked right up to my due date with Erin as couldn't afford the full leave, so went back to work after 5 months - she went into nursery.

I think I have to tell my work by the 28th week I think, in writing, then if I want to change the dates I have to give them 28 days notice of when I am taking leave. I am going to have 12 months off, some of it paid, will have to see what we are like for finances nearer that time, not sure what I will be doing work wise. Want to go back part time, but not sure with re-designing at work whether that would fit in...will have to see what my options are this time next year

You have to inform them of the pregnancy by 25 weeks, and they may insist on that being in writing. You then have to give them a certain amount of notice before you want your mat leave to start, think it's 8 weeks. Also, 8 weeks notice to return.

I knew it was something like that, I know that I had to provide a form from my midwife to say I am pregnant and as I won't see her til next week I wasnt going to put anything into writing til then. My boss and his boss have been aware since day one. I suppose I just have to work out when I want to start leave and tell them

I worked up to my due date with Erin - my work were fine about my starting my leave from babies arrival if it was before then and as it was she arrived 10 days late so I was pleased I'd started it late. lol

Things are different for me this time as I've been self employed and still am, I'm taking maternity allowance, not sure what date I'll start it from but have to tell them when I apply at the 26 week point. You can claim later on but I won't leave it any later.

lots of ladies at my works are pregnant!

I am the first one due, then there is a lady who is about 3 weeks behind me...then my friend and colleague who has been broody for a while told me today she is about 6 weeks pregnant and a new colleague I just met this week, has told the first colleague she is newly pregnant!

We are quite a small team, I our team leader is in for a bit of a shock!

ha! just realised it's 09/09/09 and I have 99 official days left till the big day. That makes me smile, my favourite number is 9. It feels like a good omen

lol at the 9's it occured to me earlier too, though I have 103 days left! ;) Glad it's feeling good.

Your poor boss!! What a nightmare they are facing. BUT.. not your problem! ;)

am feeling a little worried. I have not had a baby before, I have never been in a house where a new born has slept/cried/needed looking after. I don't know where to start. I think I am starting to get an inkling of what hubby and I are in store for. I think my known way of life is about to get hit by a truck. I am starting to think
'oooooooh what have I done!!'

don't get me wrong, I have not made a mistake, but it is starting to dawn on me that this is a very big deal. I thought being 30 something I would be better prepared. I feel like i am about to sign up for a job that I have no qualifications for, that I am going to sit an exam for which I have had no preparation.
I am starting to consciously relish when I have some time to myself or a decent night's sleep, cos I know give it 4 months, I probably won't recognise these concepts

I know I do not function at all with broken or no sleep. I also know I wake up if our dog on the landing just sighs....hubby doesn't wake for anything, what am I going to do with no sleep?

ahhh! god what have we done!

:hug99: Angie its a scary time! The only thing I can say is trust in nature. I was completely gobsmacked when i had my son with just how much nature takes over. You have so many natural instincts as a mum that you will never have known about until you need them. They kick in straight away and you will instinctively know how and what to do with the baby. Remember, as women we are designed exclusively to breed! We cope with the sleepless nights and the crying, don't ask me how, we just do!

Aww hun, it's natural to have these thoughts, but I'm with Shell on this. Nature IS amazing.. just think of all the things we learn 'naturally' and that you already have an instinct of waking at night.. it's not there by accident! ;)
My mum worked for a family as housekeeper - they moved from London to Windsor to nothing short of an 18th century mansion - I was 15 at the time, and their baby and children had a nanny who slept in the next door room to them (they were in rooms either side of her so so could nip in through adjoining doors). I was the complete opposite end of the house.. yet it was me who woke at 3am when baby was crying.. I thought I was imagining things but it kept niggling me, and I went to find out (much to my mums dismay as it was 3am and I'd woken her). I was right.. baby was crying - I changed and re-settled her.. her nanny had NO idea. We joked about it the next morning with mum and nanny and the mum actually said I was a more 'natural' mother to be than the nanny. I never understood that till I had Erin but the waking instinct is really important for us and for baby. ((Hugs))
Now, I will say to you what I say to new mums also.. yes the first baby DOES completely change your life, but in the best way possible! The 2nd (or 3rd now in my case) makes no change at all as you already know what you are doing and have ironed out the mistakes / stress with the first. Honestly, you will be anxious at times, you'll need someone to ring at 4am or whatever for advice or to just listen, but believe me you'll very very likely love it! ((hugs))

Graham and I fondly remember taking 2 hours to get out the front door - matchsticks in the eyes from lack of sleep etc, but you do cope and you come out of it all smiling when your baby or little one does something beautiful or funny or simply just sleeps contently.

((Hugs))

doh, thanks guys!

I am going to a toddlers tea party tomorrow. Friend's step daughter's youngest is 1 tomorrow and she having some mum's and kiddies around with at least 1 newborn....so have been invited around for birthday cake and a chance to talk to mum's who have done it all before. Eeeek! anyway, hubby is working this weekend so I have lost a play mate, but it does meanI can start to think about other things that need doing, like making elderberry wine with my sister and steeping black berries in vodka (for wetting baby's head over xmas and new year) and looking at muffin recipes. Also need to sort the assorted stuff I have been given for baby to give myself an idea what I need to source. Baby is still kicking regularly and my bump and all other parts of my body is getting bigger, so am not worried on that front either. I am now 27 weeks, I popped out at 32 weeks, so I know that in about 5 weeks time my babs is likely to be about 3lb in weight and as big as a ketchup bottle (cos that is how mum and dad described me!) then I know it is considered in some quarters that baby is full term any time after 37 weeks...so, I will hopefully be seeing babs sometime in the next 10 to 13 weeks, how exciting! Right off to bed to get some shut eye. May even have to have a lie in tomorrow, just cos I can =) night all!

wow that's amazing the 10-13 weeks part.. though I went 10 days over with Erin so don't be dissapointed if you do go overdue. ;)

Hope you have a lovely time tomorrow.. maybe a get together after xmas with the same group is in order so that you can show off bubs and get more tips / relate with things you are going through ((hugs)).

The berries in vodka sound wonderful! lol I don't drink normally but seem to be pining for a malibu and pineapple through my whole pregnancy.. so am having ONE at new year even if I'm BF! lol I know many drink in pregnancy but I don't normally so won't as I figure it'll hit me worse so what must bubs feel.

Sorry.. my turn to digress! lol Enjoy hubby free time - I need to do the same 'sorting' too! lol

it was interesting! Mum of the newborn + 2 boys was a bit frosty, but I didn't take it personally, met another mum of a 7 month old and a 3 year old who was nice and she was able to tell me of a local mother and baby group and the boy who's 1st birthday it was, was totally scrummy! there were lots of kiddies generally about and I was able to compare a few week old with a 7 month and a 12 month old, helped me get my head round the whole idea.

That seems a long time ago! had really bad lower back pain during the night and babs hadn't move for 20 hours....was also looking puffy, so ran on call midwife and took a pee sample, no probs blood pressure normal and wee okay. Felt tearful and rung out, but as soon as the midwife came at me with a sonography probe, little one gave me a couple of quick kicks! the mw said that was totally normal =)

but had not much book in for work today and felt raw and tearful so have phoned in to have an A/L day. It's intermittantly sunny here and I need to get off the net so I stop reading about pre-eclampsia horror stories! am going to have a cuppa tea, head down to the local m&s/ shopping centre and am going to get a few nice things for a picnic. If the weather holds, I'll suggest a picnic on the beach to my sister. Blimey, I thought just getting pregnant was the hard part, will be so glad when my little girl is in my arms so I can see that she is moving or not!!

anyway panic over for the moment

Sorry to hear your baby's been quiet, worrying isn't it when that happens? Cuddling your bump in a quiet room usually allows you to really focus on movements (instead of being distracted!) and usually a cold drink or something sugary gets them going too.. Failing that Jocelyn always used to have a really good wriggle in the bath so I used to get in the bath if she was staying quiet!!

and then tripped over and I fell flat on my face and bump

I can't bloody believe it, I knew I shouldn't have got out of bed this morning.

Went to see my sister, was stepping off a pavement that inclines down hill, managed to miss my footing, landed hard face forward onto my knee and hands, then chest and i think bump didn't really get hit, but it did manage to throw my glasses off my face. My sister screamed but I just sat there for a few seconds getting my bearings. Baby moved 20 minutes later. Have now come home and rung the midwives again, they sounded concerned, asked for my blood type and said go to my dr's if I think I have broken anything, I said i hadn't, just landed heavily on my knee (which I am now having trouble bending). Not sure what to do, bloody internet suggests calling your dr to let them know and to possibly get monitored. Other sites suggest that if you don't get any pain or cramping you should be okay. Why did i have to go out? i just felt like hibernating today, but thought ruminating at home wouldn't help. Now I have gone and done this and feel bloody awful. Right, will phone my g.p and at least let the surgury know. Why didn't I just stay at home?

Ow! knee hurts, finding it difficult to bend. I don't know if the ground hit bump, it happened so quick. I did end up face down on the pavement and I know I hit my chest, but because of the angle of my fall I think my knee and hands got most of it. I feel less shook up now as it happened 4 hours ago and baby has been kicking me in the ususal pattern for the last 2 hours. The midwife was saying that as long as I don't bleed or lose my waters I should be okay, but to tell them if I have any unexpected pain. I know I could have dislodged the placenta, expecially as the last time they check it was attached to the front side of my tummy. I suppose I feel less panicked about it cos she has been moving as usual and no bleeding as yet. I am taking it easy though. Have taken lap top to bed and am trying not to look up 'falling in pregnancy' on the net. My back is also feeling tender, but it has given out before when my body has taken a knock, so will be treating myself with kid gloves for the next few hours and concentrate on internal healing thoughts

Glad your MW has given you advice on what to watch out for ((hugs)) Hope baby is still letting you know all is fine.
Goodness must've given you a huge scare though.

aww god Angie what you like!! poor little love!

How are you feeling? I think bed is the best place for us now, safest place from falling over, germs blah blah!

Just keep an eye on your self, baby was probably just a bit dizzy after the fall, but doubt it felt more than a bit of turbulence!!

Fingers crossed your knee recovers soon, its horrible when your in pain!

xxxx

Back