JanD's Maintenance Diary. Week 15 onwards

HI Jan

Sorry to hear you are not feeling 100%....oh I wonder if it was the soy sauce???? Although, there is usually that much salt in it, that it is probably well preserved :) But, then again, it could be making you feel a wee bit iffy!! Between the fish and the soya ....here's hoping the next few days are better - eh!

Well done sweetie on your loss, almost 3lb WAW!!!!!!Fantastic.....I am so pleased for you; that just shows that you really stuck it out the last week. How did you feel about it? I mean, cutting out? Do you find it hard and that you are missing out? Just wondering.

Your food looks good Jan, it really does....now tell me Jan, do you struggle knowing what to eat every day?????? I know I do. It is such a responsibility isnt it! I was so much more relaxed about food when I was on TFR..haha....and had no problem knowing what to cook my DH every day - BUT, NOW!! I struggle coming up with ideas :)

Do you just chose from one day to the next, or do you do menus for the week?

The guy I get on the train with does a menu every week; one week he sorts out the menus and then the next, his wife does..haha..so, they always have different menus..I dont know if I would have the time to do that..I am usually running around like a headless chicken trying to juggle everything.

Anyway, enough of my questions tonight :)

Do hope you are doing ok and feeling much better.

HI Jan

Sorry to hear you are not feeling 100%....oh I wonder if it was the soy sauce???? Although, there is usually that much salt in it, that it is probably well preserved :) But, then again, it could be making you feel a wee bit iffy!! Between the fish and the soya ....here's hoping the next few days are better - eh!

Well done sweetie on your loss, almost 3lb WAW!!!!!!Fantastic.....I am so pleased for you; that just shows that you really stuck it out the last week. How did you feel about it? I mean, cutting out? Do you find it hard and that you are missing out? Just wondering.

Your food looks good Jan, it really does....now tell me Jan, do you struggle knowing what to eat every day?????? I know I do. It is such a responsibility isnt it! I was so much more relaxed about food when I was on TFR..haha....and had no problem knowing what to cook my DH every day - BUT, NOW!! I struggle coming up with ideas :)

Do you just chose from one day to the next, or do you do menus for the week?

The guy I get on the train with does a menu every week; one week he sorts out the menus and then the next, his wife does..haha..so, they always have different menus..I dont know if I would have the time to do that..I am usually running around like a headless chicken trying to juggle everything.

Anyway, enough of my questions tonight :)

Do hope you are doing ok and feeling much better.

I don't actually feel as though I have cut anything out Iris. In fact I feel as though I've been having more because I've consciously been eating bigger meals, mostly with some carbs as well, hoping that would stop the picking and it does seem to have worked to some degree.
Stubbornly I won't stop having my 'tipples' - I know that to people like yourself who aren't bothered by it, that would seem like an easy way to save on unnecessary & empty calories but I know that I would not stick to that long term. I enjoy a drink and want to be able to incorporate that into my 'diet'.

I don't do menus. When I shop I buy in salad, veg, stir fry and whatever looks good - like on Saturday there was pork on offer so I got stir fry and cubed with the idea that we could have a stir fry (which we had this evening with some over) and I'll do the cubes as a casserole in the slow cooker on one of my work/sleep days. Last week I picked up a half shoulder of lamb ... I just get whatever takes my fancy. I stock up on the frozen 'fishy' things from Aldi & Lidl whenever I go and so know they're there. Sometimes I don't know what we're having till half an hour before we have it.
I'm not sure if this answers your questions I'm sorry. If not feel free to ask again.

Thanks for your get well wishes - I do feel a lot better tonight actually. Hope you're okay too xxx

Hi Jan

I think the fact you are eating more at your meal times you arent picking....I understand what you are saying that you havent cut out...when you said that, I realised.....it is the fact you are not picking. So, it does work then, eh!! Once I start picking, I cant stop...gosh, I kinda repeated myself there a few times :)

Yes, question answered :) regarding food, etc...it is good to know what other people do. I get so stressed out about the whole food thing and I have to know the night before what we are having...I try to alternate between rice/pasta/bulgar and pots......but I still find it stressful..hopefully one day it will be easy.

Eh Jan, if you like a tipple, then go for it. Sometimes I wish I had more of a glass of wine. I think if OH drank I would have an odd glass now and again, but he prefers sweet things, so no point. But, in some ways for me and my silly thyroid, it is probably good I dont drink :) :) So, you drink away and enjoy..if you are able to incorporate this and still lose weight....brill :)

Although, I do have a lovely bottle of red pomegranate wine from Turkey waiting to be popped open! I just need a weekend where I know I will drink a glass or two and it wont be wasted..it is only 75 cl, so maybe 4 small glasses :) Maybe in a few weeks time I will brave it and have a glass or two ;-)

Mmmmm sounds nice. 75cl will be 6 small glasses - not that I'm an expert ;) - but it will :)

I too am still totally obsessed - I think about food pretty much all of the time. Sad ...? But true. Maybe one day it'll be less of an issue but right now it still is. While part of me thinks it shouldn't be this way another part thinks if it needs to be this way for a while then what the hell - there are worse things to be obsessed with and addicted to. Sometimes I try to think of it as a hobby - not sure that makes sense but it helps me ;) xx

wahey!!!!!!!! well done on your loss this week jan!!! :D bet you are well pleased :)

You are as bad as my mum and grandma, they used to have tins dated back to 2002/2003 untill a few months ago when they both cleared out their cupboards :sigh:

Be careful on that one jan, hope you've thrown it away now :D xxx

Thank yooooo :)
Never mind comparing me to your grandma Missis!!!!!! :):) Only joking ;)

I HAVE chucked it. It was a HUGE bottle which is why I'd had it so long but I can't believe it was that long!! :eek: xx

But Jan, my grandma is way cool! :D

HI Jan only saw your post now, so sorry you werent feeling well, i'm not a big fish eater at all, and that just turned me off completly!
hope you feeling ok now

well done on loss thats fantastic! ;)

But Jan, my grandma is way cool! :D

Awwww that's alright then ;) xx

Thanks Nicola! :) xx

Tuesday 6th October

Breakie - (V V early with going a'babysittin') 2 weetabix, raspberries, splenda & skimmed milk.

Lunch - (also V early!) Maintenance bar, 1/4 slice of 'best of both' crust with reduced fat cheese & onion sandwich filler. Pear.

Snack - YAWYE snack pack fruit & nuts.

Tea - Fillet of sole with garlic & pepper, brocolli & leek & 3 small new pots with a little low fat salad cream.

Few voddies tonight ;) xx

Edit to add - 2 pumpkin seed Ryvitas with houmous

Last edited:
Wednesday 7th October

Breakie - 2 weetabix, splenda & skimmed milk

Lunch (out) - blue cheese, walnut and (supposedly) avacado salad. When I mentioned I couldn't find any avacado I was told it was in the dressing! The 'salad' was just a few leaves - when I pulled a face at that too he took it away and brought it back with a few slices of tomato, 1 slivver of red pepper and 1 slivver of green pepper. Won't be going back there!

Tea - Gammon, poached egg, 2&1/2 small new potatoes, brocolli & leek, squeeze of extra light salad cream. Slimfast snack bar for pud

Work - Salad with stir fried pork, pear & nectarine. Weetabix Oatibar (not even worth the 88 cals :()

5 sm squs Cadburys whole nut :eek:

I won't get to bed till late tomorow coz I'm going to the docs at 11am for the steroid injections in my thumb joints. (Not looking forward to that! :eek:) I have a sneaking suspiscion (sp?) this might lead to a 2 course breakfast ;) but I'll try to make it 'good'. xx

Last edited:
Ah jan - my grandma had them injections a couple of weeks ago, in her thumbs too (you two are more alike than i realised! :giggle:) hope it goes ok for you tomorrow :)

Where the hell did you go for that 'salad'? Sounds like it wouldnt even feed a rabbit!!!! xxx

It was a newly refurbished poshish pub near my step-daughter's house. Still I didn't have to worry about it being fattening :)!

I'd ask you more about your Gran's injections but I don't think I want to know anything till it's over :eek: (I'm a proper baby :() xx

good luck with injections jan, will be thinking of you ;) sure it will all be over before you know it ;)

Thanks Nicola - hope so ;) x

Jan, how did the injections go today?
Hope you are ok :) :hug99: x

Mmmmm sounds nice. 75cl will be 6 small glasses - not that I'm an expert ;) - but it will :)

I too am still totally obsessed - I think about food pretty much all of the time. Sad ...? But true. Maybe one day it'll be less of an issue but right now it still is. While part of me thinks it shouldn't be this way another part thinks if it needs to be this way for a while then what the hell - there are worse things to be obsessed with and addicted to. Sometimes I try to think of it as a hobby - not sure that makes sense but it helps me ;) xx

Hi Jan
Sorry it has taken me an age to come back to your post....I can think of worse things Jan than food :) At least you eat healthily the majority of the time...A hobby, now I like that :)!!!

Hi Jan

How did your injections go? HOpe they werent too painful sweetie!!!!!! If they were, at least now it is all over - eh! and hopefully they will give you some relief as well...hope so!

Take care.

Hi Guys!
Thanks for asking. The doc only did one hand in case I had any reaction because I hadn't had them before.He did the non-dominant for obvious reasons though, also for obvious reasons, it's the other one that's worse. Anyway it wasn't too bad actually. Let's put it this way - I won't mind too much going back to get the other one done on 30th. Assuming this one works - it can take up to 10 days apparently. It was sore this morning and is now but feels more like an injury than how it felt before. Time will tell anyway! Again thanks for asking.

I went totally mad with the food this morning though I'm afraid. I'm not going to sit here and try to recollect every single thing because I don't want to 'go there'. Suffice to say if it wasn't mouldy or nailed down I ate it. I can tell since I got up too because my rings are tight and I feel bloated and full of wind!
Anyway - I'm rationalising it with 'how much damage can you really do in 4 hours?'

Lesson? ... When I know I'm going to be feeling sorry for myself/hard done by/whatever, I should factor in a 'treat' (hate that word) - something I wouldn't normally have but really like. That way I won't eat my fridge, my mother's fridge, her biscuit tin, most of the sweets I have in for the grandchildren (and I only buy things I don't particularly like!) and my own arm. :eek:

I got up late (with not getting to bed till after 12) had slow cooked pork (in tin toms with leek & mushrooms) with brocolli & 3 v small new pots. 2 figs & 2 plums.

I've brought leftovers to work - so same as tea and a pear & a nectarine.

Hope you've all had a good day xx

Editing @ 4.30am to add ... Just had one of those Kinder Bueno double bar things :( xx

Last edited:
BTW! DH & I are taking my Mum away for the weekend so I won't be on till Monday evening after tonight (Thurs). Just in case you miss me ;) xx

Last edited:
Ah jan - dont worry about your blip day, everyone has them :(

Ive always liked the word 'treat' though! Its something to look forward to. It stemmed from when i was in primary school, really overweight and my mum put me on a diet! I didnt have any crisps or chocolate or anything, although once a week i was allowed a treat; a mars bar and a packet of crisps .... hense the reason i like the word lol

Anyways, hope the injection works wonders for you :fingerscrossed: and have a lovely time away :) xxx

Hi Jan

We all do it sweetie.......feel sorry and then reach for the comfort tin. You are certainly anything but alone on this front, but at least you are honest and upfront about it :) Hope you have got it out of your system now and back on an even keel.

I am crossing fingers and toes that the injections work for you as I am sure it will make a big difference to your life! So, roll on 30th and surely by this time the first lot will have worked and you will be just so looking forward to having the other one done!!!!!!

Have a lovely weekend; hope you are going somewhere really nice!!

Take care and speak next week.

Back