JanD's Maintenance Diary. Week 38 onwards.

Yes I think so :) x

Mary, it was on bbc2 so it'd probably be on the iplayer .... i think it was called wives abroad or something.

Thanks Tanya.

No Tan - there are very strict rules about slaughtering animals ... eg they have to be stunned first ...

http://www.fve.org/news/position_papers/animal_welfare/fve_02_104_slaughter_prior_stunning.pdf

You can't just hold them down and slit their throats which - although I couldn't look, is what i believe happened in the programme and is certainly how it happened in the Gambia. While I suppose it could be argued that the very act of killing them is cruel - there are ways judged to be less cruel than others.

Mary it'll deffo be on the iplayer - maybe seesaw too xx

Will have a look at the weekend from work then, pass the time :8855:

It is horrible and I think this is how they prepare Halal meat..might be wrong, but I think the animal has to bleed..AHH...just horrible..hate anything like that! Could quite easily become vegetarian when I think about it!!!! Poor wee goat.

It is called tribal wives...first time I have seen it for a long time as I dont usually watch much tv!

It had a write up in the freebie paper and they didnt think much of it...couldnt quite get their head around it being tribal and in Turkey!! haha...I suppose I understood what they meant, but it is a different way of life in the mountains and I know they only did this in the summer but it is still their way and it is trying to be phased out and seen as not acceptable....which is a shame as they are nomadic really!

I remember last year our friend Ahmet said he was going out to kill the sheep for Bayram, and they kept half, and gave half to the poorer people around them.

I personally couldn't do it, but then again, it is their customs and beliefs so I have no ill feeling on what they do. I guess we could turn the tables around and talk about how they feel about bacon etc but thats going into a whole new discussion about religion. I think I will leave it there......lol.

Iris, i was pretty naive - never would've thought there were tribes in Turkey either!! :giggle:

I don't condem them either, each to their own - but agree we don't need to get into religion here ;)

Thursday 10th June

Breakie - had 2 :eek: .. Piece of toast with clover at Mum's. Piece of toast with anchor at home and THEN had an Alpen light bar :(

Bed

Tea - Hake with cauliflower cheese topping (frozen) with carrots

Pear
Little tiny kids box of sultana & apricot bits

Work - chicken salad, pear.
Not taking the melba toasts & phili tonight coz I think I'm only eating them coz they're there. xx

Last edited:
Looking good today jan - besides the three bitsa bread! :giggle: :) xxx

Looking good misses!!! Yes, if you dont have them with you, you cant eat them..eh!

Oh, I bought that cereal you buy.....Granola one.....it was LOVELY!! So filling and tasty....

I agree Jan, I just take to work what I think I NEED to eat, and not what I WANT, otherwise, I would eat everything I took.

I am so lucky though, that I can only eat what I take. I dont know how I could cope if I was like Tanya's work place, where there was vending machines.

ahaha ladies! I took this the other week when i spoke about the vending machines but forgot about it when i got home ... look!

There are two vending machines in each break out area. There are 4 break out areas. There is also another vending maching on the first floor along with the canteen that sells chips, lots more chocolate and crisps and other crap food! The only things remotley healthy in my work place are the goahead bars, nutrigrains and a tiny basket of fruit in the canteen.

Attachments

• vending machines.jpg
    vending machines.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 43
Looking good today jan - besides the three bitsa bread! :giggle: :) xxx

Only had 2 :rolleyes: :p xx

Looking good misses!!! Yes, if you dont have them with you, you cant eat them..eh!

Oh, I bought that cereal you buy.....Granola one.....it was LOVELY!! So filling and tasty....

Glad you like it Iris - I only like the Lizi's Good Carb Company one - dont know which one you got, but I find some are in clusters which I don't like and some are really very sweet. xx

See - I couldn't resist those Tanya!

Too Too tempting!! xx

Only had 2 :rolleyes: :p xx

:doh: thought you had 2 at yer mums and 1 at home but i clearly read it wrong. You had 2 pieces 1 at mums 1 at yours! sowweeee :p I shouldve known you wouldn'tve had 3 pieces!!!

Too Too tempting!! xx

They are indeed!!!!!!! Ive asked for 'healthy' stuff to be put in them like quavers, 99 calorie chocolate but yet nothing gets done because the majority dont want it!!!

Well maybe you were being clairvoyant Tan coz about an hour ago I had the third piece ;) lol - with vitalite on it AND 2 squares of chocolate .... for no other reason than PURE boredom :( xx

Dont cha just hate that boredom picking?!!!! Grrr! lol

Yes it was the one you mentioned I bought.....it wasnt sweet at all...really nice! Although Tunc had it with honey on it..haha...honey with everything these days!!!

Oh, did that chocolate just jump in your mouth!!!! I tell you, it is shocking!!

Tanya, I couldnt resist those vending machines either! I would never go to the break out areas...we have a tuck box in the kitchen and to be honest I really wish they would get rid of it! I hate it...some times it doesnt bother me and then other times it is just TOO TEMPTING!!!

Well maybe you were being clairvoyant Tan coz about an hour ago I had the third piece ;) lol - with vitalite on it AND 2 squares of chocolate .... for no other reason than PURE boredom :( xx

Boredom is a bloody pain in the butt, it has so much to answer for.

Yes it was the one you mentioned I bought.....it wasnt sweet at all...really nice! Although Tunc had it with honey on it..haha...honey with everything these days!!!

Oh, did that chocolate just jump in your mouth!!!! I tell you, it is shocking!!

Tanya, I couldnt resist those vending machines either! I would never go to the break out areas...we have a tuck box in the kitchen and to be honest I really wish they would get rid of it! I hate it...some times it doesnt bother me and then other times it is just TOO TEMPTING!!!

All stems to that Garden of Eden!!

Well that bl**dy Adam's got a lot to answer for!! Although at least he was only using an apple ;)

RIGHT!!!! Bloomin' awful day so far - since I got up anyway. This morning wasn't bad. (if you don't count the boredom stuff ... which i don't coz that was counted as yesterday :))

Friday 11th June

Breakie - Raspberries & Blueberries with ff from frais. REALLY wanted something else, nearly had toast but settled for a small banana

Bed ..

Tea - was really hungry when I got up, the planned salad wouldn't have 'done it' so I had loads of Chicken and half a large tin of BBQ beans. Then some mango.

Packed up for work, the same as tea - chicken and the other half of the tin of beans and a pear.

Then went for my usual fri night visit to Mum's before work :(:(:(:(

I won't tell the tale af how, when, why etc - it's irrelevent, so I'll just list the damage;
Individual Tiramisu cake
5 biscuits (2 creams & 3 all butter sultana cookies)
milky way
Half a battered chicken escalope left over from her tea, on a piece of bread with clover and mayo (light - as tho' it'd make any difference lol!)
2 tuc crackers with clover and pate
and pinched a pkt of Walkers cheese n onion to bring to work - which have gone already (when I say pinched - I DID ask, I'm not QUITE that bad ... tho' having said that - most of what i ate there I ate in the kitchen and she wasnt aware of. She only knew about the buttie and the tiramisu - so p'raps I AM that bad after all!! :()

I THINK that was all. I'm sitting here now feeling and looking as though someone has stuck a football up my jumper!!

This doesn't auger (sp?) well for my Anniversary weigh in on Monday but I'm not beating myself up too much. I THINK I'm learning that these things happen yes - but they also end, so maybe I should just live through it rather than be angry, unhappy and miserable as well. We'll see!! xx

Edit - 5.30am Pkt Go Ahead raspberry yoghurt breaks & 4 squares choc.

Last edited:
hahah - GArden of Eden..mm..yes, maybe!! Oh, we are getting all religious the past few days ;-)!! hahah

It has cropped up a few times :8855:

Well that bl**dy Adam's got a lot to answer for!! Although at least he was only using an apple ;)

Cant say an apple would be my temptation, but if a chocolate bar was hanging from the tree, then I would be a sinner :8855:

RIGHT!!!! Bloomin' awful day so far - since I got up anyway. This morning wasn't bad. (if you don't count the boredom stuff ... which i don't coz that was counted as yesterday :))

Friday 11th June

Breakie - Raspberries & Blueberries with ff from frais. REALLY wanted something else, nearly had toast but settled for a small banana

I hate it when we are not satisfied with something, and really wish we could have something else.

Bed .. Hope you slept well

Tea - was really hungry when I got up, the planned salad wouldn't have 'done it' so I had loads of Chicken and half a large tin of BBQ beans. Then some mango.

Packed up for work, the same as tea - chicken and the other half of the tin of beans and a pear.

Then went for my usual fri night visit to Mum's before work :(:(:(:(

I won't tell the tale af how, when, why etc - it's irrelevent, so I'll just list the damage;
Individual Tiramisu cake
5 biscuits (2 creams & 3 all butter sultana cookies)
milky way
Half a battered chicken escalope left over from her tea, on a piece of bread with clover and mayo (light - as tho' it'd make any difference lol!)
2 tuc crackers with clover and pate
and pinched a pkt of Walkers cheese n onion to bring to work - which have gone already (when I say pinched - I DID ask, I'm not QUITE that bad ... tho' having said that - most of what i ate there I ate in the kitchen and she wasnt aware of. She only knew about the buttie and the tiramisu - so p'raps I AM that bad after all!! :()

I THINK that was all. I'm sitting here now feeling and looking as though someone has stuck a football up my jumper!!

This doesn't auger (sp?) well for my Anniversary weigh in on Monday but I'm not beating myself up too much. I THINK I'm learning that these things happen yes - but they also end, so maybe I should just live through it rather than be angry, unhappy and miserable as well. We'll see!! xx

Edit - 5.30am Pkt Go Ahead raspberry yoghurt breaks & 4 squares choc.

Jan, its like we have a self destruct button inside ourselves some days and we are intent on pushing it.
Hope today is better for you and good luck for WI on Monday.

Back