JanD's Maintenance Diary. Week 38 onwards.

:8855::8855: xx

Just showed Phill the reply in the IM that John replied to about the area where we live, and it got me thinking.

You know you and John are welcome to pop in for a day/night or even a few days if you had the time when you are in this area, but I was also thinking regarding the meet up, it might be nice too for the partners to all be included. Just a thought - shoot me down all of you if you wish lol.

Ah that's nice Mary thanks :) And that's fine by me re couples - mind you looking at DH right now i don't know if he'd be able to stay awake LOL!! xx

Just had a packet of melba toasts and a mini tub of phili light - V&Cs still on the go too xx

hello ladies.......just caught up with all your posts; phew busy in here tonight!!!!!! :)

OH wont want to come.....he will think it is all girlies, plus I am being selfish..want you all to meself :))))) But I know what he is like..he is quite quiet (I am the loud one) and I just know he will turn his nose up..not nastily, but he struggles in big crowds with load of Scots/English people!! hahaha..oh, that sounds awful...makes it sound as though is a miserable sod!!

Well done Jan on 1lb on!! WAW...that is amazing....you have been better than you realised! Mind you, you have been running around after the little ones too...see, what exercise does for ya!!! :)!!!!

meant to say........only one will be named....QUEENIE :) haha..guess which one that will be!!

The hive came today..BUT he forgot to order the supers....not sure what they are, bu important!! So, he had to order them and will arrive on Thursday.

The bees arent coming now for 2 weeks..it was either waiting for the guy to bring them or for Tunc to drive to Wales and collect them..so, decided to wait! Can you imagine him driving and them escaping!!!!! say no more!!

hello ladies.......just caught up with all your posts; phew busy in here tonight!!!!!! :)

OH wont want to come.....he will think it is all girlies, plus I am being selfish..want you all to meself :))))) But I know what he is like..he is quite quiet (I am the loud one) and I just know he will turn his nose up..not nastily, but he struggles in big crowds with load of Scots/English people!! hahaha..oh, that sounds awful...makes it sound as though is a miserable sod!!

Well done Jan on 1lb on!! WAW...that is amazing....you have been better than you realised! Mind you, you have been running around after the little ones too...see, what exercise does for ya!!! :)!!!!

Well thats fine, I will speak Turkish :8855:

Well I might agree with you Iris except looking after the little ones came after the weigh in so you'll have to try to find another way to enthuse me ;) ... good luck with that! xx

WAW....well, take my hat off to ya!! You have done incredible well.

Oh, yes, forgot you speak Turkish...probably MUCH MUCH better than me!

Did you want Native wives or lives...not sure what it was called tonight? First time in weeks where I have watched tv...it was about a girl from London living with this family in the mountains in Turkey....really interesting

I'm afraid it lost me at the goat slaughtering ... I realise and totally accept that this is their culture and don't judge it in any way. Just couldn't watch it :) xx

oh I had to close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears...Tunc told me when it was finished...he hates that, especially when they do it at certain Bayrams each year...they actually slaugher the animals in the street...and give the meet to the poor!! I remember one year, when we were visiting and it was that type of Bayram..and the streets were eary...just didnt feel comfortable with it at all!!!

She was a really nice girl and the "older mum" was lovely......I felt all homesick strangely enough...Tunc's uncle used to be a judge in the village where they had the wedding! But werent the girls totally different after they got all spruced up!! haha
Oh, you didnt watch it after the goat...and I think that was after the goat wher they had the wedding..dohhhhhh

No I couldn't I'm sorry. I know when we went to The Gambia there was some sort of feast day and you were honoured if you were asked to go to a compound as a guest but we kept our heads down as we knew it would involve the slaughtering of an animal. Again don't get me wrong - it's more of a failing in me that I couldn't have stomached it! I can feel my stomach turning just thinking about it. Hmmmmm - maybe the thing to think about next time I feel a binge coming on!!! :eek:

I know what you mean....we know it goes on, but I dont like to think about it!! hence why i couldnt have a small holding, although would love one! I have that romatic notion that all is well and that killing doesnt happen!! haha....

I would have kept my head down too in the Gambia!

Wednesday 9th June

Breakie - raspberries, blueberries & ff from frais

Lunch - BBQ chicken & salad wrap in WRVS coffee bar in between hosp apps.

Pear

Tea - Char Sui pork chop with carrots & courgette. Pear.

Strip of smoked mackarel (sp?)
Slivver of cheese
small banana :eek:

Work - Chicken salad a pack of melba toasts & individual phili light xx

Last edited:
Jan, you've been to the gambia? Coooool!!!

I too watched the programme last night, only from about 20mins but caught the goat slaughtering bit :( Made myself watch it - it was horrendous but thought i'd be willing to eat animals and im sure many get slaughtered that way and i should be aware of how it all happens etc ..... does that make sense!? lol

Well no not really ;) - nobody would be allowed to slaughter animals that way in this country.

As for The Gambia - I wouldn't recommend it Tan. Too much hassle and pestering from locals - even when you're just trying to sit quietly on the beach. I certainly wouldn't advise women to go without men. The only way would be to go all inclusive and not leave the hotel - in which case you might as well go somewhere else as you could be anywhere. Having said that even the staff in the hotels can make you feel uncomfortable. They think - because you can afford to go there you must be rich and therefore have lots of money which they want to take off you!!! They have lots of tricks and sneaky ways to make you think they want to be your friend but it all boils down to the cash in the end. I wouldn't go again xx

Mary, it was on bbc2 so it'd probably be on the iplayer .... i think it was called wives abroad or something.

Jan, i always thought thats how they slaughtered cows n stuff, anywhere. Am i just stupid?! lol

Defo no to the Gambia then!!!!!! Atleast you've had the experience of it though :)

No Tan - there are very strict rules about slaughtering animals ... eg they have to be stunned first ...

http://www.fve.org/news/position_papers/animal_welfare/fve_02_104_slaughter_prior_stunning.pdf

You can't just hold them down and slit their throats which - although I couldn't look, is what i believe happened in the programme and is certainly how it happened in the Gambia. While I suppose it could be argued that the very act of killing them is cruel - there are ways judged to be less cruel than others.

Mary it'll deffo be on the iplayer - maybe seesaw too xx

Thanks for that Jan. I didnt realise they had to be stunned first, but still, no matter how its done its still killing an animal aint it - just i guess, less painfull ??? for them.

I think its a series too aint it?

Back