Jenny's Core Diary - Back and with a new target!

Thanks Gemma, i'm not on the points plan, so I think the problem was too many points and not enough proper food!

Here's to a good week Jen. Hope your legs feel better - did you find out what it was?

No, no conclusive self-diagnosis yet, although i did find a lot of useful information on leg injuries! Going to take things easier when I'm running (which seems the general advice) and pay attention to any aches and pains to see if I can determine what it actually is that's hurting. My knee is also giving my a bit of trouble so i've got a strap for that - fingers crossed it'll all be ok!!!

That's good then. I've got a terribly unpleasant stabbing pain in my heel which, from a self-diagnosing web-search, appears to be plantar fascitis. It's not very nice and it's not going away! At this rate, the only exercise I'll be capable of will be swimming!

Oh I get that a bit too - I live in flip-flops! I have to wear my trainers a few times to balance things out. I think it might be my excessive flip-flop wearing that's affecting my legs!

Yes, I've been searching the net and found that "unsuitable shoes" account for lots of foot and leg problems. I'm sticking with trainers atm and also I've bought some inserts to put in my shoes to give me better arch support. I'm putting ice on my heel in the mornings before work too.

Breaded Mushrooms:
1 Point on Core for entire recipe

2 small slices of wholemeal bread (or nimble/ww)
Cajun seasoning
1 egg, beaten
Mushrooms

Use a blender to make some breadcrumbs from the bread and add some cajun seasoning to the breadcrumbs. Dip the mushrooms into the egg, then cover with breadcrumbs until covered. Place the coated mushrooms onto a baking sheet sprayed with fry light and cook in a hot oven until golden.

Delicious!

Breaded Mushrooms:
1 Point on Core for entire recipe

2 small slices of wholemeal bread (or nimble/ww)
Cajun seasoning
1 egg, beaten
Mushrooms

Use a blender to make some breadcrumbs from the bread and add some cajun seasoning to the breadcrumbs. Dip the mushrooms into the egg, then cover with breadcrumbs until covered. Place the coated mushrooms onto a baking sheet sprayed with fry light and cook in a hot oven until golden.

Delicious!

Now i'm thinking Core is the way to go for me hehe ;)

Chicken wrapped in bacon
Free on core

2 slices of bacon
1 chicken breast
Sliced onions and/or mushrooms
Extra Light soft cheese (Any variety)

Cut lengthways along the side of the chicken breast and open out. fill the breast with the soft cheese and any mushrooms or onions (Sliced garlic is also really good). Pull the chicken back together then wrap with the sliced bacon. Loosely wrap the chicken in tin foil and cook in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.

Chicken wrapped in bacon
Free on core

2 slices of bacon
1 chicken breast
Sliced onions and/or mushrooms
Extra Light soft cheese (Any variety)

Cut lengthways along the side of the chicken breast and open out. fill the breast with the soft cheese and any mushrooms or onions (Sliced garlic is also really good). Pull the chicken back together then wrap with the sliced bacon. Loosely wrap the chicken in tin foil and cook in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.

How much soft cheese do you use hun?

Beef Casserole:
1 point for entire recipe

Pack of cubed Beef
Mushrooms (halved)
Onions (sliced or quartered)
Carrots (chunks)
Swede (chunks)
Leeks (Thick slices)
Cornflour (1 tablespoon)
Beef stock (approx 2 pints)

In a frying pan add the beef and fry until brown, then transfer to a casserole dish. Add the vegetables to the frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes for the vegetables to absorb the meat juices and flavour from the frying pan. Add the vegetables to the casserole dish and mix with the beef. Add the beef stock until nearly full.

Cook for one hour with the casserole dish covered, then remove the lid. Mix the cornflour with a little water then add to the casserole dish and return to the oven for another hour, or until the meat and vegetables are tender and the gravy thickened slightly.

Also works well with chicken thighs or lamb and any variations of vegetables depending what's in season.

Roasted Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
Free on Core (0.5 per serving on points) - serves 6

1 butternut squash (peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks)
2 sweet potatos (peeled and cut into chunks)
2 pints of vegetable stock

Add the butternut squash to a roasting tin, spray with frylight and cook in a hot oven for approximately 40 minutes. After the butternut squash has been in the oven for 20 minutes, add the sweet potato and stock to a pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cooked butternut squash to the stock and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth.

If you want to make it a bit more indulgent you can add a couple of tablespoons of single cream once blended to make it a rich and creamy soup (2 points for 2 tablespoons)

Last edited:
Creamy mushroom pasta
Free on core

In a frying pan add some sliced mushrooms, onions and garlic and extra virgin olive oil. Once the mushrooms and onions are softened add some cooked pasta to the pan and a couple of tablespoons of extra light soft cheese and cook through. If you add a little skimmed milk it sometimes helps the cheese cook down and mix through the pasta easier. Once the cheese has mixed thoroughly, remove from the heat and serve.

(Sorry no accurate measurements, but it's all done ad-hoc depending on how hungry I am!)

For devout meat eaters like me, sliced bacon added with the mushrooms adds a really nice flavour.

Hash Browns
Free on core

1 large potato
1 onion finely chopped or sliced
1 Egg, beaten

Coarsley grate the potato then use a sieve to squeeze out any juices. In a bowl mix together the potato, onions and beaten egg. Use your hands to make small patties out of the mix and add to a frying pan on a medium heat. Keep turning until cooked on both sides.

Goes lovely with a hangover breakfast of bacon, beans, eggs and mushrooms!

You can also use sweet potato or parsnips instead of or with the potato for tasty variations.

Mackerel Pate
Free on core

1 pack of peppered smoked mackerel fillets
1 200g tub of extra light cream cheese
1/2 lemon

Remove the skin from the mackerel fillet (and give to the cat if there's one around!). Flake the mackerel in a bowl and then add the cream cheese. Using a hand blender, blend together until smooth. Add the juice of half a lemon and mix until smooth.

Today's menu so far is:

B: Banana & Tea (just can't handly a proper breakfast at six in the morning!)
L: Going out - so probably a jacket potato to stay on track
D: Spag bol made with Turkey mince (full of mushrooms, peppers, onions & carrots)

S: Apples (x2)

Off out for a jog again tonight, I'm really starting to feel the difference now and finding the jogging so much easier now - definately going to keep up with it after my 10k is over, i just wish i had more time in the evenings to join a running club, but i get home from london too late for any of the local clubs.

Had a good weekend, i'm so poor at the moment i'm having to plan my menu's very carefully, but it does mean that i'm not wasting any food and i can't afford to have any sneaky snacks!

Today is:

B: None (late for my train!)
L: Ham & Egg Salad (lettuce, red onion, yellow pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, Ham & boiled eggs - with salad cream (1 point)) + Apple.
S: Apple
D: Stir-fry veg with egg noodles.

Also managed 12 minutes jogging non-stop last night, still getting pain in my calves but i'm slowly getting there. Bang on track for my 10k run with the training schedule though!

Back